Friday, July 20, 2007

Termites...who knew?

Did you realize that pound for pound termites pack more protein than meat or fish? They do, and if put into a survival situation, they could possibly keep you alive. An added benefit... there waste can be burned on a fire to repel mosquitoes. This would really come in handy if you were lost in a Costa Rican rain forest. Thanks Bear.

I'm telling you, I am so addicted to Man vs. Wild on the discovery channel. You just learn so much cool (& utterly impractical) information. I am dying to get dropped somewhere with a flint, knife, and a canteen, left to find civilization... maybe. I'll start with Yosemite in September.

Side story: Some of you out there have heard this story already, but for those who haven't... here it is. A few weeks ago, my sister had dinner with Bear... no, not alone. (I wish. What a cool brother in law. He's already spoken for anyway.) At a dinner party. She calls me and leaves me a voice mail, "guess who I'm having drinks with... Bear Grylls". Being a huge fan, only very recently, I almost dropped my Treo. I have to quickly thank Crystal's sister Daisy for turning us on to this show, which I was hesitant to watch at first. I text messaged her back, and asked her to send my best wishes to Bear, and was curious if he would divulge a key component to the success of all of his televised survival situations: the brand of knife he uses. Apparently this is a popular question posed to him primarily by his American fans. Fitting... I suppose. Personally, If I'm going to drop $$ on a nice knife, I want the best knife to chop down trees for raft and shelter making, as well as starting fires with flint. I actually think peoples' obsessions about these kinds of details is more a reflection of our culture's obsession with bandwagoning to the best... in any arena. Whether it's buying Nike because Tiger wears/uses it, or buying Gatorade because Michael drinks it, we Americans are hopelessly bewitched by this kind of materialism. All of his other survival supplies are here (case & point). The skinny: he told my sister that because of the beating he would put his knife through in each survival situation, he would by a new knife prior to each Man vs. Wild episode in the airport of where ever they might have been shooting the show. The truth: It doesn't really matter what kind of knife you have so long as you have one. But if you have to have his brand of knife, click the link. Be warned they are custom, military quality knives, and aren't cheap. I think I will just go to Sport Chalet.

Side note: Apparently, Bear is also very charming and the life of a party. Surprise, surprise. It's that British accent I think... that's what my wife says anyway.

Addendum: So... this just came to my attention. I had heard whispers of foul play here and there, but I guess this is sort of damning. read the link and make your own opinion. It doesn't really bother me. The hotel thing kinda sucks if that's true. The show is still really entertaining regardless. I hope the show doesn't get ruined as a result of this pseudo scandal. I am still a fan.

2 comments:

Kujo said...

i like the episode where he jumps into the ice cold water and then does naked push ups...

have you seen survivor man? that's a good show too

appojax said...

yeah, dave WOULD like that.

yo Larry, thanks for the blog love. I HAVE submitted to FACA-4 my express desire to participate...but still workin on ideas.. you wanna collab? You write I draw. Maybe it could monstracize from a Petri dish...