Tuesday, October 30, 2007

He must have made a deal...

with THE DEVIL! Or, is the devil himself. I'm ranting about this because last weekend, my NFL Fantasy team was single handedly dismantled by the golden boy, scoring 41.64 pts (A LOT). I get 2 TD's from Antonio Gates, 2 TD's from Hines Ward, and a usual solid performance from Peyton Manning and still lose... to my buddy Dave K. no less. Needless to say, I'm distraught and bitter. I find myself actually wishing ill on Tom Brady, who at the moment, seems to be the face of the "Evil Empire" that is the Patriots, of the NFL. Am I insane? I think I can now finally appreciate the hatred Red Sox fan has towards the Yankees. When will it end, or will it? For me, it's a moot point unless somehow by the grace of god, I manage to sneak in the back door of my leagues 4 man playoff.

As an analysis of all this insanity, it is clear that the strangle hold that fantasy games now have on the sporting world has reached a frighteningly irreversible trend. In addition to the unrelenting statistical tickers that crawl below our TV's updating sports enthusiasts fantasy portfolios, I am now aware that satellite TV will now allow you to input your teams roster and live update you on their performance as they compile relevant statistics. Personally, I have become a "Box score whore" of a sorts, glued to my Yahoo Stattracker and satellite radio on Sundays, pining for statistical explosions from my starting line up. I find I'm constantly crunching numbers of C list players, in an attempt to squeeze the last drop of "fantasy juice" out of a handful of dry lemons. Is all this seemingly trivial? Just a hobby that adds to the enjoyment of already enthralling television that feeds the competitive fires of millions of Monday morning quarterbacks. Maybe for some, but I think this runs much deeper, and at some level has changed the presentation of all sports for good (& not necessarily for the better). My wife, subjected to watching sports on TV by default, is disgusted by the whole fantasy aspect of sports, and can't fathom how one could root for player over team, regardless of the teams that your fantasy players may play for. I have a love-hate relationship with fantasy sports. I love it, but hate to lose, and because sports is so intrinsically tied to chaos theory, one is made to ride an emotional roller coaster week in and week out, caused by inexplicable variations and volatility of real time statistics. If there is a silver lining, I believe that the emergence fantasy sports has created an air of excitement and possibly filled a void in many fans who watch televised sporting events, that only gambling could fill. Less gambling is probably a good thing. Life can be sweet... when your fantasy team is doing well

No comments: