Monday, February 11, 2008

Doing something about it...

I know it's been awhile. As much as I like to vent, and get things off my chest, I find it difficult to find the time to gift wrap my infrequent pontifications on various subjects, using this forum. Projects at work, that I have invested months of blood & sweat, are actually working these days, and for the moment, I have stumbled upon some time to put my thoughts down on "e-paper".

I re-open Life can be sweet with a quick take on activism. In light of the pending election, I have used the recently induced political shot of adrenaline, to take part in the political process, and attempt to make a difference at the local level.

Not too long ago, The Surfrider Foundation sent me an email that invited me to attend an CCC (CA Coastal Commission) meeting and voice opposition of a proposed project to build a toll road that could potentially ruin Trestles, a world renown surf spot. My friend at work, Diana and I went down to the Del Mar Fairgrounds at 9 am to attend the CCC meeting to show our support. About 3000 people showed up to the meeting. I would estimate that the toll road opposition outnumbered the supporters around 2 - 3 to 1. We were there about 3 hours, and at that time, they were nowhere near reaching a decision. After all the proceedings and deliberation by the commitee, a decision was reached just before midnight. Amazingly there were still people there. Thanks to Surfrider, people's inner activist was tapped to put together a well organized picketing event. I believe it is important to protect our environment at the expense of convenience. Nobody likes traffic, but if places like San Onofre State Beach can't be preserved, than all hope is lost. Whether or not the strength of the opposition embolden the commission's decision to reject the toll road is debatable, but it did feel good to be on the ethically responsible side of things.... and win!

The moral of the story? It is important to fight for what is important to you. As cliche and idealistic as it sounds, we can make a difference. We as people really need to loosen the grip that corporate America has around our necks. Life can be sweet! Vote! picket! protect something. Viva la writers!

For more pictures at the actual event, check out my friends web album.

No comments: